Tuesday, March 8, 2011

the stone of many names...

Today, I found an interesting pieces of jewelry with bloodstone as I was looking through websites.

Since it is the month of March, I thought it was just fitting that I post about one of the birthstones of March, the other one being aquamarine.

The bloodstone is known by many names. It's more common or scientific name is heliotrope, which means "stone of the sun". It can also be referred to as "the martyr's stone" because of the myth it has related to Christ. It was said that at the time of the crucifixion, the blood of Christ stained the jasper rock at his feet. It is a stone of religious significance. It symbolizes courage while some say justice.

When I was younger and I first read about the bloodstone, I thought it would be red like coral or garnet. It was a lot different from what I thought it would look like. It was a dark green stone with specks of red.

I always thought the best design of jewelry for this stone would be something geometrical or tribal in style until I found the image I attached in this post. I was proven wrong and I was glad for it.

Image Source: http://glistersall.net/jeweledglass.html

No comments:

Post a Comment